Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?

I had a oil change/filter yesterday at JIFFY LUBE i DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT CARS.... but i read my fuel perceantage on how it was at 44 percent good on my 2008 cobalt LT.... so when i was done geting my oil changed.. I looked at it expecting to see it at 100 percent it wasnt .still at 44 %..so i figured maybe there was still...old oil in the valves... but i went on a trip..150 miles still read 44%at the end when i came home.. and this morning when.. to went to the store the oil still read at 44 percent good..does this mean i was dupped%26gt;%26gt;/? and didnt change the oil..i did drive 150 miles and did expect the oil percentage to be at 100 percent but isnt..?.. or is there a way i can check if they did do the services i paid for..? and how much oil should have put in there.. im thinking they might of have just drained half and put half of what i paid for...reason why it reads 44%?still.. my vehicle is 2008 cobalt lt sedan.

how much liters of oil shoudl have beeen put in? and how do i check the air filter to see if it has been replaced?How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?No, it just means they didn't reset the computer. To tell if they changed the oil or not, just pull the dipstick and look at the oil on it. Fresh oil is sort of a clear/amber liquid, looks about like honey, just thinner. Old oil will be almost black, like tar (won't be thick like tar, or if it is you got SERIOUS problems). You just need to reset the oil life meter, it tells you how in your car owners manual. Some of them have a button under the dash to push, some use the accelerator pedal, and a few even use the car stereo to reset it. You need to check the oil regardless, just to make sure the Jiffy Lube guys filled it completely.How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?Here a little trick i learned from an old timer. To find out if your car needs an oil change. Drive it around a bit to let the oil circulate. Take it back to your driveway. Get a white piece paper. Pull your dip stick out and let the oil drip onto the paper. Let it soak up on the paper. The paper acts as filter. If it looks dark with dirty particles change the oil. If it looks somewhat clean and no dirty particles, no oil change needed.How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?all these new cars that give you a oil life percentage have to be reset. they probably did change your oil, they just forgot to reset your message display. to check your air filter open your hood and look for a black box probably the size of a shoe box there should be a couple of clips to hold the top to the bottom when you un clip them youll be able to see if your air filter is nice and clean. your best bet is to just find a good mechanic that you can trust!How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?pull out the oil dipstick, you can check the status of your oil, you will see a clear oil..





you will see a clean oil filter if you check under the hood or under the car.



have you try to reset the metering system??How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?Why don't you call Car Talk on Saturday? They can help!



Call 1-888-CAR-TALK (888-227-8255)How do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?get some body to show you a few things under the hood/check book on how to reset the gauges/i believe its done through the radioHow do I know if they..actually changed my oil...?The oil life indicator that you are talking about, requires that it be reset after an oil change. Apparently they failed to do this and it is not reflecting that the oil has been changed. Pull the dip stick for the oil and look at what is on the stick. It should appear to be clean oil or close to it. If not , return to the place where you had the service done and have them correct the issue and reset the oil life indicator. GM vehicles will reset by following the procedure in the owners manual under maintenance. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment