Friday, June 3, 2011

I'm thinking about getting a 2000-2003 Tundra. How much harder is it to change the oil compared to a Dodge?

I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota, my sister drives a 2000 Ford Focus, Mom drives a 2000 Dodge Caravan and Dad has a 1999 Chevy Silverado. Of the ones listed, the Focus is the hardest to change because the filter is in some really stupid spot. My Dakota is not far off because it's so high up there.



Sooo, is the Toyota Tundra pretty comparable or easier to change oil and filter than any of the ones I already know?I'm thinking about getting a 2000-2003 Tundra. How much harder is it to change the oil compared to a Dodge?Easy. The filter is not hard. If its a V8 it is under the skid plate which is held on by 5 12MM bolts. When you take that off the filter is right in front of you and is very easy to take off. The drain plug is cake. it sits right in on the oil pan and points down with nothing blocking it.

If its an early V6(5VZ-FE) 4WD then its hard as the oil filter is in a high point of the engine and can be hard to get to as there is stuff in the way. The drain plug is still easy. If its a later V6(1GR-FE) then its the easiest as the filter sits right on top near the filler. There is a plug on the bottom of the filter housing that you remove and put a bottle under to catch the oil that comes from the filter. After that the drain plug is just like the other ones. It is the easiest of them all.I'm thinking about getting a 2000-2003 Tundra. How much harder is it to change the oil compared to a Dodge?I used to not like changing the oil on the Dodge/ Jeep 5.2 engines because the oil would drain onto some pipe or something, and splash all over the place, and I just wanted to say that so you don't think I have some kind of bias; just being straight up honest here. The Toyota Tundra's aren't a picnic either, in fact, I think they're slightly worse, because the filter is in the front, above a plastic or metal panel, so you need to remove the panel, or reach down from up above. I worked at an oil change place, and the panels were so time consuming to remove and re-install, that we'd use the second method, which sucked, because you can't see the filter from above, and oil would leak down onto the panel, and slowly drip out after the truck was driven away. The best engines to do oil changes on were diesels, because the filters were mounted vertically, and oil would never spill all over the place. The worst engines were Nissans: their filters were a NIGHTMARE to replace. I did do an oil change on a Dodge RAM SRT10 with the 500hp Viper engine: it was very smooth. I quit around June of '05, and I don't remember having done any oil changes on the 5.7 Hemi engines. Dodges are easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment