Thursday, November 25, 2010

How do I change the oil filter on my 1981 Honda Hawk?

I recently purchased a 1981 Honda Hawk CB400T. It's buring al ittle oil and the clutch is shifting a little hard. I am going to take it in to get some stuff looked at but wanted to know how the heck I change the oil filter on it? I've already purchased an oil filter, just need to know where the old one is. No this isn't my first bike either.



ThanksHow do I change the oil filter on my 1981 Honda Hawk?The oil filter is in the square cover on the bottom of the crankcase.

Don't even think about removing the bolt, without a 6 point wrench!!!! The bolt is soft aluminum. Don't loosen it with a socket either. It can easily slip off.

The cover has 2 little tabs. They're to line up the cover when

re-assembling and to keep the cover from turning.

When you remove the filter, check for the washer. They like to stick to the filter.

Lube the o-rings of the new filter and screw it on to the oil filter bolt. Sometimes if you just push the filter on, the rubber breaks off the filter.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/OE

Lower CrankcaseHow do I change the oil filter on my 1981 Honda Hawk?Guardrail forgot to tell you about the spring between cover, washer and filter. Washer is usually missing but its a standard size used on all Honda's with paper element filter.

BTW its front right 'corner'

No comments:

Post a Comment